On the Editorial Process

The editorial process seems to be a cause of much confusion for a lot of new writers, so I just wanted to talk for a moment about my own editorial process as a self-published author.

After finishing the first draft, the first thing I do is absolutely nothing. You heard right. Nothing. I sit on the piece for as long as I can - ideally at least a month. If I can't do that, I still give it as much time as I can.

I then read through it again, start to finish, in Word, making changes and notes. Here are some simple things I look for that all writers should at this stage:

  • Remove as many occurrences of "that" as possible.
  • Check for long, wordy, stringy sentences.
  • Also check for short, choppy sentences (especially if they're close together).
  • If need be, read dialogue aloud to make sure it sounds natural.
  • Check for incomplete sentences and run-ons.
  • Revise passive writing if at all possible.
  • Try and notice repeated words/phrases and awkward/clunky sentences or phrasing.
  • Watch for any inserted exposition that could grind the narrative to a halt.

Bonus Tip: If you have to stop and reread a sentence, it likely needs to be revised.

It's exceptionally hard for authors to notice potential issues with characterization or logical fallacies in their own stories because we're so close to our writing, so while I keep an eye out for those, I also address them in the next step.

I then send the story to both my editor and a close friend. My editor checks the story with a professional eye and my close friend reads the book and tells me what she thinks as a casual reader. Both viewpoints, in my opinion, are of equal value. Their edits are considered and implemented or not.

(As an aside, I also offer editing services, if anyone is interested.)

The last step is the final read. To do this, I convert and load the story onto my ereader. I then read through and highlight words, phrases, or even scenes I still think might need edits. Once done, I then get back into the main document and make those edits.

After that, I begin the formatting process for the ebook and print versions of the piece, and release them on the date they're due out.

So that's my process. Is yours different? Discuss in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment